Monday, April 20, 2009

Amazing Steel Cut Oats

Many of you have asked me for my oatmeal recipe. Since my usual method of cooking is, as my mom used to say, "by guess and by golly"-- in other words, I just wing it-- I had to spend the last week paying attention to how much of each ingredient I was tossing in, and actually using measuring spoons.

So here's what I came up with. Make sure you are using steel cut oats, not the rolled variety (or you will end up with mush)(ew). The most inexpensive place to find them is in your bulk food section. If your neighborhood grocer doesn't carry them, take a trip to your local health food store.

Amazing Steel Cut Oats

1 cup steel cut oats
3 cups water
1 Tbsp. apple cider vinegar

In the morning, before you leave for work or start your day, combine the above ingredients in a pan. Cover with a lid, and allow to soak all day. At night, before you go to bed, add in:

1/2 tsp. sea salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1 Tbsp. vanilla
1/4 cup chopped dates
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

Bring to a full boil, put lid on pan, and turn off heat. Allow to sit on the stove overnight. In the morning, add:

1/4 cup raisins

Mix well. You may then reheat it on the stove, or spoon out individual servings into bowls and reheat in the microwave. Add in preferred sweetener to taste (honey, brown sugar, agave, etc.), and some fruit on top. (This oatmeal is fantastic with sliced bananas or apples.)

Makes approximately 4 bowls of oatmeal. Store any leftovers in the refrigerator, and use within 4-5 days.

(Here's my HASAY addition: Since I've been eating steel cut oats for breakfast almost every morning for just over two weeks, my body fat has consistently dropped little by little each day. Wow!)

12 comments:

Unknown said...

this recipe sounds wonderful(except i cant do raisins-do you think i could leave them out?)

GreenJello said...

Feel free to leave the raisins out. I've used chopped dried apricots with fantastic results, too!

Stacy Uncorked said...

THANK YOU for posting this recipe! I'm adding steel cut oats to my grocery list now! ;)

Small Town Mommy said...

Thank you for sharing the recipe. It sounds very healthy. I bet that means I couldn't get the kids to eat it no matter how delicious.

Bex said...

mmmm.... oatmeal! i've never investigated the different types of oats. now, i'm going to check them out. maybe alton brown has done a show about it???

Sprite's Keeper said...

Wow! I was wondering about the vinegar, but the finish sounds amazing! Good for you and love the recipe!

Suldog said...

That truly sounds like a wonderful recipe. I have a great fondness for good oatmeal, as my Dad used to cook it for me often when I was a small kid. I will definitely try this.

GreenJello said...

The vinegar has to do with the soaking of your grains. You add in vinegar (or lemon juice, if you prefer) to start the 'sprouting' process in the grains. This makes it so the grain won't bind with minerals like calcium and magnesium in your body. Much healthier to soak grains first.

♥ Boomer ♥ said...

You angel! Thank you for posting this recipe!

Also, I can't tell you how amazed I am that (1) you called David's attention to "I Never Knew Her Name ..." (2) that he highlighted it and (3) people have written the most amazing things to me about it.

Thank you.

Keely said...

Is it the steel cut oats in particular, or the oatmeal in general that's working for the weight loss?

I'm going to the store anyway. Thanks!

Casey said...

Sign me up for any food that helps me lose weight. Well, except celery, I HATE celery.

So you're doing well with HASAY? Exercise? Eating right? Avoiding anything with flavor?

Denise said...

Although I'm not quite sure what a steel cut oat is... this recipe sounds great. I don't measure either, and it's SO hard to write a recipe like that lol. Good job!