Tuesday, June 24, 2008

What's With My Manager, Anyway?

I don't know what it is about me that my manager hates. I try really hard to stay away from him, not annoy him, and attempt to fly under the radar as much as possible. Whenever I think things are finally reaching an "ok" level between the two of us, it's time for another 'sock to the gut'.

The latest one was an email asking me why my timepunches are messed up. Apparently, according to the email, I am the only one in the department who is having problems with their time punches (which I know is false-- one of our guys is notorious for missing at least 1-2 punches per week).

So, I pulled all my time punches for the past year. It was showing I had missed a total of 8 punches for the whole year, and 2 of those were marked as 'badge errors'. So that means I spaced off punching in or out about once every 2 months this past year.

I sent him an email asking if this was an excessive amount of punches to be missing.... and haven't heard back from him. That's not necessarily a good sign. It makes me paranoid as to what's next. He's probably monitoring me posting to my blog, or surfing the web at work, even though I'm doing it while software is loading on the PCs I'm building. I guess I'm supposed to just watch the software install hour-by-hour and twiddle my thumbs waiting.

I really need a new job, but it would be a shame to quit this one when I really like the people I work with and the flexibility of my schedule. Plus, I don't even have to do on-call anymore, and I'm not allowed any overtime. Where else can you find a computer job like this?

2 comments:

Gen said...

It's amazing how many bad managers there are. They think the idea is to keep their employees under their thumb with an impressive show of power. No clue how to build a team and draw the best out of their people by motivating them. Anyone can watch time punches. It takes real talent to be an effective manager, though.

GreenJello said...

True. I just wish he'd figure this out! My motivation for work now is to keep away from him as much as possible. I even changed jobsites to put more distance between the two of us. It's helped, but I still have to be wary. :(