Monday, June 23, 2008

Difficult Things

I have added something else to my list of Difficult Things To Do:

....giving away beloved books to the local library.

I've hauled in a good 8 boxes of books so far, most of them hardbacks in excellent condition. I think the librarians were going into paroxysms of pure delirium because of my donation.

But it's like parting ways with old friends... giving away a piece of yourself. My entire hardback "Oz" collection.... my entire hardback sets of David Eddings books.... my entire hardback sets of Anne McCaffrey Pern books I've collected since I was about 14.... and the list goes on.

Last year, I gave over 2000 books to the kids' school library. I think we more than doubled the size of their library after that donation. I figured since I wasn't homeschooling anymore, that the brand-new library would use my amazing collection more than us. The school librarian worships the ground I walk on now. :)

I'm taking more books over to the library today. I will try not to cry!

2 comments:

Akansha Agrawal said...

I don't think I'm ever going to be able to part with my own collection of books. It hurts so much when 'friends' borrow them and then 'forget' about returning them. I've lost some of the best books because of that :(

Anyway,I got directed here a second time, courtesy the black box. Link back to my blog if you'd like to...

GreenJello said...

I never thought I'd be able to part with my collection of books. They really do become friends of a sort, and I do miss them...

But it was the right thing to do at the right time. I'm trying to simplify, and this was a HUGE step for me.

And I will come visit you right now! :)