For those of you on FaceBook, you probably know about the current obsession going around-- "25 Random Things About Me". I'm posting mine here. :)
1. I still don't know what I want to do when I grow up. Well, besides being a mom (which I always wanted to do). I've been a retail store assistant manager, a bookseller, a custom picture framer, salesperson, inventory specialist, entrepreneur, technical team manager, McDonald's peon... and am currently filling the role of Computer Geek. If I ever went back to school, I'd go to law school.
2. I love to do anything connected with art, and especially photography. But I never took photography in high school. Go figure.
3. I've never been drunk. Never had the desire to, especially after watching everyone else get hammered around me. They all looked idiotic.
4. I taught myself how to read at age 4 by watching "The Electric Company" and "Sesame Street".
5. I was nominated for Homecoming Queen my senior year. But it wasn't because I was popular.
6. I have 7 children: 4 of my own, 3 step. All girls. I had my first daughter when I was 19, and last daughter when I was 26.
7. My favorite foods are fruits and veggies. Really.
8. I want a tattooed ankle bracelet because I *always* break any ankle bracelet I wear. And I lovelovelove ankle bracelets. It's the only jewelry I truly adore wearing.
9. I've lived in 6 different states: Washington, Montana, Nevada, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah. Least favorite: New Mexico and Nevada. Favorite: Arizona and Montana.
10. I am self-taught on computers. It was a hobby that developed into my current career. I pretty much slept through one of my Associate degrees (Networking Administration), and my Bachelor's Degree (Computer Science), but I figured I ought to get that All Important Piece Of Paper.
11. I am a terrible housekeeper. If I were rich enough to afford a maid, she'd be a live-in like Alice was on Brady Bunch.
12. And I hate deciding what to cook for dinner. We have a lot of "fend for yourself" meals at our house.
13. I am fluent in American Sign Language. I was an interpreter during college. Now, it's been so long since I really used it, I suck. Now I'm trying to learn Spanish.
14. I've had 4 surgeries, all done by a neurosurgeon. This means I no longer have the first rib on each side of my ribcage, and that my back is fused at L5-S1 (from which the hardware has now been removed).
15. My favorite vacation is going camping. Really. I love to be out in nature, breathing the fresh air, and enjoying the quiet beauty around me. Other vacations are fun, sure, but they don't give me the total relaxation that camping does.
16. I can cook in a dutch oven over a fire. And it tastes good, too. :)
17. I keep a small toy collection on my bookshelf at work. I have a Bumble, Yakko, Brain, Snoopy, Beaker, a Cootie, Bambi, the Peter Pan Crocodile, Marvin the Martian, Sebastian, Felix the Cat, and Astro Boy (among others).
18. I am a pile organizer. My stuff is always in piles. I know where everything is in my piles. If you move my piles, or if I actually clean and put things away, I can't find anything for days and days.
19. I have (mostly) straight teeth, no braces. People ask me all the time if I had braces as a teen. Nope, just good genetics. Only one of my daughters has inherited this.
20. When I was 15, I ate breakfast with George Takei (Mr. Sulu from Star Trek). He was so nice, and has the FUNNIEST laugh you've ever heard. I impressed my kids with this fact, but told in a different manner... "I ate breakfast with Hiro's father." (from "Heroes")
21. I can speed-read. I could read so fast in 6th grade that the teacher once told me that I was lying (when I reported words read in a timed read), and that I couldn't possibly have read that fast.
22. I could only type 35wpm in high school, but can type about 70wpm now. 10 years ago, I was typing 90+wpm. I give all the credit for my speed increase to AOL Chat Rooms.
23. I wrote my first computer program when I was 11. As a true measure of my geekiness, I taught myself to program from a book that came with my TI-99/4A. I was very bored one summer. And it was a "Star Trek" program. (I'm hopeless, I know.) (But I made it play the "Star Trek" theme!) But it never occurred to me that I could do computer stuff for a living back then.
24. I painted a mural in my high school cafeteria/commons area my senior year. I saw it again 11 years later when I visited the school. I haven't been back for 10 years, so I have no idea if it is still there or not.
25. I'm really good at tongue twisters. My kids are always trying to come up with something that will trip me up, but it's only happened rarely. The favorite one they like me to say? "Jacket Packet". (Say that one 10 times super fast!)
15 hours ago