Tuesday, May 05, 2009

Random Tuesday Thoughts

randomtuesday

I always get a kick out of adults that feel the need to announce that they’re going to use the restroom. I think it’s a learned behavior from when they were little kids. It starts with the parent(s) repeatedly asking, “Do you need to use the potty?” and morphs into the kid doing his own announcing of, “I have to go potty!” I guess some people never outgrow certain things.

Learning not to give a flying rat's ass about what others think of you is VERY freeing.

Two days of banging my head against the desk talking to vendor tech support ended with ME fixing THEIR problem. So, so, so SO frustrating! It’s your product, folks, why don’t you know how to fix it?!?

Not too long ago, I made a trip to the local whack job survivalist bulk food store to buy a mondo bag of steel cut oats. While I was browsing around the shelves of #10 cans, filled with food supply goodness, I noticed one can emblazoned with the words, “Flavored Like Ham Chunks”. This sat right next door to its close cousin, “Flavored Like Chicken Chunks”. Gosh, that whetted the appetite right then and there!

I find it strange that when Influenza B ran rampant around here, nobody cared. Now, with a flu that’s not as virulent starting the rounds, people are FREAKED. OUT. They’ve closed down schools, people are wearing masks, and paranoia runs amok. Why didn’t they close down the schools when over half of the kids and teachers at my daughter’s high school were out sick with the seasonal flu? But they sure will now that ONE teen might have swine flu symptoms… Give me a break.

Life is made of moments. You have to treasure each one as you get it, and then put it gently down to move on to the next one.

25 comments:

Casey said...

I still announce when I have to go to the bathroom but it's usually more of a warning since the kids know our weaknesses and will attack if there's one less adult to man the fort.

They closed a bunch of schools here too, so strange. Now Elliot's nose is running but she hasn't oinked yet so I think we're safe.

♥ Boomer ♥ said...

Loved these!!!

♥ Boomer ♥ said...

Loved these!!!

I am Harriet said...

Yeah...really...who cares if they need to use the potty? Plus, it opens them up for the old "who didn't put a new roll out" etc...

Grant said...

I say we show we are not frightened by the swine flu by eating Mexican this cinquo de mayo. And drink tequila. And have sex with Asian women.

Lisa said...

wonderful randomness... thanks for those thoughts... I'm starving now with the thought of ham-flavored chunks. (this sounds like vomit)

Kristina P. said...

I am SOOOO with you about the Swine Flu and all the hype!!

Jaime said...

great randomness. i don't know if i'd want to eat something that tastes like real chicken/ham chunks. i'd rather eat the real thing.

Anonymous said...

So true about the moments in life.

Bex said...

mmmm.... flavored like ham chunks. (blech!) but i did buy some steel rolled oats to try your oatmeal recipe. am soooo excited!

kyooty said...

the pee thing? you start saying it again as you try to remind your kids to listen to their pee singles. LOL of course then you forget not to tell the adults when there is no kids around

Jennifer said...

No closing in our parts, thank goodness.

My husband still says "potty" even though our kids are 14 and 15. It drives me crazy. He also says "yummy" and "tummy." Really NOT appealing in a 40 year old man.

Unknown said...

flavored like ham chunks? that's the grossest thing i've heard all day. :-P

Otter Thomas said...

It's like when Red got of prison on Shawshank. He kept asking his boss at the grocery store for a bathroom break. Maybe we all have trouble escaping the prison of our youth.

Anonymous said...

You are a wise old owl.

Captain Dumbass said...

"Swine flu." It just sounds so exotic.

Frogs in my formula said...

Ew, ew, ew. And it's not even flavored like ham but ham "chunks"?? Blech.

I'm in the process of learning how not to care what others think of me. Do you think that makes me weak? Silly? Am I fixating? You probably think I'm fixating.

Anonymous said...

I'm working on the not giving a rat's ass thing. Some day's are better than others.

Cara said...

The Doctor comes home with some crazy stories about how freaked out people are. We had 2 confirmed cases about 10 days ago & within a day, they were completely sold out of face masks @ the big bad box store & there was already a back-order with the manufacturer.

I'm sorry, but real ham tastes like doo doo, so I don't even want to imagine what something "flavored" like ham would taste like.

Anonymous said...

I didn't always use the word potty to deserve my own behaviors, but now that I have a toddler I find myself doing it...not cool.

I completely argee about deciding what other people think doesn't matter - it really, really is freeing.

Susan Cook said...

Not caring what others think is something I strive for - lol! People are freaking out about the swine flu. My daughter came home sick with a stomach ache today and the first thing everyone thought was "swine flu" it was just a regular old tummy ache!

Heather said...

lol, so funny about the whole thing where people announce when they are going to the bathroom...I know quite a few of them myself!

Michele said...

"Flavored like?" So what is it really? That's just crazy. People must buy that stuff or they wouldn't sell it.

Hey, thanks for sending David over. Very nice of you. I'll try to live up to it though I have to tell you next Tuesday I plan to mention my epesiodomy.

piecemeal people said...

Just wondering/hoping - where the ham and chicken "chunks" dog food, by any chance? Please?!?

Shoe Mama said...

I work in an urgent care clinic, and I seriously can't stand the vast majority of people who either come in or call FrEaKiNg!!! out that they have had a cold for two days or allergies and now it must be a sypmtom of swine flu. "Give me a break" and quit listening to everything you see on tv.