Saturday, August 23, 2008

School Shopping

I hate school shopping. Next to Christmas, it's the worst time of the year to have to go into stores. I try to get most of it done in July, before the hordes of people start swarming every retail establishment known...

Kayla is pretty verbal about what she likes and doesn't like in fashion. Lately, she's been on a "I hate all 80's clothes" kick. Then, she'll point to something and squeal with delight and say how cute it is... I don't have the heart to tell her that what she just spied was, like, totally 80's man.

My favorite comment this year while school shopping: Kayla saw some racks of fluorescent tie-dye style shirts. She said, "I think tie-dye is SO ugly... I hate that it's coming back into style. It looks like someone threw up rainbows all over the shirts."

:)

3 comments:

Mrs. C. said...

Umph. I had to take my third-grade sweetie out for school clothes. She is a little hard to fit, as she is slim with long legs and persnickety about things that are "itchy". And as we know, the trend has been for low rises and short hems, which make it almost impossible to keep long-waisted long-legged girls appropriately covered. And this child is eight, which makes me wonder just what the clothing manufacturers have in mind! The quote of the day yesterday, as I stood in Sears with my mom: "What is this, Sluts R'Us?!" I'm not a prude but those classic clothes in Lands End and LL Bean are looking better and better....

School in 3 days!

GreenJello said...

School started on Aug. 18th for my younger two, and Aug. 25th for Kayla. I don't know what it is about Utah, but they like to start school in August!

One thing about Utah, though, is that people are much more into modest clothing here. It's easier to find long shirts (by specialty companies, usually) and layering undershirts for the girls. Favorites include Shade Clothing, Modbe, and the like.

I agree with your mom-- why on earth would we want to dress our precious little ones up as sex objects? It's completely ridiculous.

Lala said...

it gives us a lovely breeze