Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Breaking Dawn

I just finished the fourth (and final) book in the Twilight saga by Stephenie Meyers. And I'm asking myself this question right now...

Why on earth did I waste my time on this?

Ok, I know the answer. It's because I like to read what my kids are reading.

But still-- this has got to be some of the worst drivel I've read in a long time. By the end of the book, I didn't care about the characters. They were all just so... depth-less. I was hoping the Evil Vampires would eat all the main characters just so something would happen.

And the whole romance/marriage/newborn (x2) saga is the stuff eye rolls are made out of.

I think I'll go back to Harry Potter.

3 comments:

Mrs. C. said...

Did you have to go through "Captain Underpants" or was that one your girls were not into? Lots of the boys in Maddy's class think they are fine literature and after having to listen to some of the kids read to me I said "Never will my son rot his brain with this drivel!...." Enter the 5-volume box set from Grandma. You'd think a former teacher would have better taste in books! We put them away until he was better at reading chapter books (read: until he forgot he had them...) and I think it's worked. He likes "Horrible Harry" and "Junie B. Jones" now. It may not be stellar literature but at least there are no exploding toilets or wedgie humor. And for Maddy, it's horse stories, please. And Hank the Cowdog. Such a wit that dog is. But not a wedgie to be had on that ranch either...

Soon, the Great Brain.

GreenJello said...

I *love* the Great Brain! So far, I've only convinced one of my girls to read them. I'm trying for more...

Funny you should mention "Captain Underpants"... that is the book that finally got Kayla reading on her own at age 9. She's a voracious reader now, so I'm supposing it didn't rot her brain out too much... :)

Junie B. was a favorite here, too.

Mrs. C. said...

Hmm, perhaps I should not be such a book snob. Anything that gets them reading, right? Tonight, though, no books. It's a double sleepover. In one room, a duo of third grade girls are watching "the adventures of underdog" and eating popcorn. In this room, two first graders (Brendan and his "best girl") are viewing a little Indiana Jones. It's not quite the show I thought they'd pick, but Brooke and her family have watched it three times before, and Brendan has watched it with dad before. The reason he has a girl over is because she is the sister of Maddy's friend, not because we condone boy/girl sleepovers! You should hear them critiquing the movie. They sound like Siskel and Ebert...

Night, now. Let the giggling begin....